We had a fun weekend of celebrating Danika’s birthday. Friday night she had softball practice, and it was hot out so we brought freeze pops for Danika and her teammates to enjoy after practice. We grabbed some takeout for dinner and headed home.
Saturday morning we ran to Omaha for a few quick errands and to visit my niece who had surgery this week at Children’s. Danika invited a few friends to my parent’s lake house to swim and then over to our house for pizza and a sleepover. They had the best time and were truly the best group of girls to have over. They’re all so polite and well behaved – I almost forgot they were even at our house.
The girls each chose a country that they wanted to be from and then raided my closet to dress like they were from that country – it was pretty entertaining!
Sunday morning the girls played for a bit before we took them home. We spent some time in the air conditioning most of the afternoon and then headed outside to get some yard work, etc. done late afternoon. I found the kids playing a game in the yard. As you can tell, Ashton was thrilled to be involved with this game.
I started watering my flowers and somehow that turned into a water fight – the kids loved it but Ashton was really worried Daddy was going to get mad that he was all wet. I assured him he was safe!
We grilled out for dinner and declared this another fun weekend! We love summer!!
Somehow it doesn’t seem possible that I can have a 9 year old! Today, we’re celebrating this sweet girl! Danika is the sweetest, most kind-hearted child I know. She has a soft spoken personality, but yet is so witty and has the best one-liners when no one is expecting them. She’s the best big sister and cannot wait until she’s old enough to babysit. Danika loves volleyball and is enjoying her first year of having 4H pigs (she actually spent most of last night writing an “essay” about how to care for pigs because she thought it would be fun!). We measured her on the growth chart last night and she’s close to 5′ tall – somehow that makes me feel really sad (probably because I know it won’t be long and she’ll be taller than me). I can’t wait to see what the future holds for this sweet girl!
I ask all of my kids the same questions on their birthday each year, and it’s fun to see their answers change from year to year – this year it was funny because over half of Danika’s answers were the same as last year. Here they are:
- What is your favorite color? Turquoise
- What is your favorite toy? My volleyball
- What is your favorite fruit? Strawberries
- What is your favorite TV show? I don’t watch TV
- What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch? Mac and cheese
- What is your favorite outfit? Long pink maxi dress
- What is your favorite game? Doctor and spy dodgeball
- What is your favorite snack? Cookies & milk
- What is your favorite animal? Turtles
- What is your favorite song? Fast by Luke Bryan
- What is your favorite book? A Dog’s Purpose
- Who is your best friend? Gracie Reynolds, Sydney Sagehorn & Adelyn Tenclay
- What is your favorite cereal? Fruit Loops
- What is your favorite thing to do outside? Practice volleyball, softball and basketball
- What is your favorite drink? Milk
- What is your favorite holiday? Birthday
- What do you like to take to bed with you at night? Spot (small stuffed dog) and Big Dog (big stuffed dog)
- What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? Pancakes
- What do you want for dinner on your birthday? Pizza
- What do you want to be when you grow up? Daycare provider
We plan to celebrate big this weekend with her friends! Have a great weekend!